Student Complaint Process with Online Education

State Authorization

Hibbing Community College (HCC) offers online courses and programs to a wide array of learners, across the region and our nation, and is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.

HCC is a member of NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements), which means we share a reciprocity agreement with all states who are part of the NC-SARA group. The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. SARA is overseen by a
National Council and administered by four regional education compacts.

To find out if you live in a state that has joined this consortium, view the NC-SARA map. If you don’t see your state listed as NC-SARA approved, please contact HCC admissions at 218-262-7207 to see if we can get specific authorization from that state.

Hibbing Community College has been approved by the State of Minnesota to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education.

Student Consumer Complaint Process

Pursuant to the United States Department of Education’s Program Integrity Rule, institutions providing online education are required to provide all prospective and current students contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering distance learning within that state.

We encourage you to seek resolution to any concerns by discussing them informally with a staff member at HCC. If a complaint cannot be handled informally, HCC students are encouraged to use HCC’s complaint process, outlined in the HCC Student Handbook(PDF).

If a complaint cannot be resolved at HCC, you may contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education. If you reside in another state, you may contact your Local State Agency (PDF) for further information.