Apply for Financial Aid

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Step 1: Apply for Financial Aid (Financial Aid Basics Powerpoint)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is completed online and is the required application for all Federal and State aid at HCC. Students and at least one parent of a dependent student must have a FSA ID. It takes approximately 3 days for a FSA ID to become active. Your FSA ID can be used each year to electronically apply for federal student aid and to access your Federal Student Aid records online. If you receive a FSA ID, you agree not to share it with anyone. Your FSA ID serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records, so you should never give your FSA ID to anyone. Be sure to keep your FSA ID in a safe place.

Get a FSA ID - (both dependent student and parent need a FSA ID)
Apply for your FAFSA online

The FAFSA should be submitted in early March to ensure it is processed by the HCC priority date of May 1st.

Step 2: Receive a SAR

You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) approximately 3 days after you apply online using your FSA ID. Review the SAR carefully! If there are corrections to be made, contact the HCC Financial Aid Office for guidance.

Step 3: Receive a Financial Aid Award Letter

Your Financial Aid Award Letter will list the amount of scholarships, grants, work study and loans for which you qualify. Students will receive an estimated financial aid award letter after their FAFSA is processed and verification documents, if any, are received. The official award letter will be mailed by mid-May.

Notify the HCC Financial Aid Office if you have special circumstances that affect your ability to pay. Situations such as, loss of income due to layoff, divorce, separation, or death should be brought to our attention. Please contact us to arrange an appointment.

Step 4: Apply for Additional Assistance if Necessary

If you require more financial assistance than appears on your award letter, you may be eligible to apply for other loans: Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) or Minnesota SELF Loan. You may also be eligible for work-study. You should contact the Financial Aid Office at HCC for application information and procedures.