HCC Student Senate is much more than “politics!” Our senate works to improve the HCC experience for students by leading projects and acting as a communication channel between the student-body and HCC administration. For those interested in learning how to govern and advocate, senate members can attend regional and Minnesota State College Student Association (MSCSA) meetings. But many senate-members find great projects and resume-building experience solely on campus! Student Senate is a volunteer club open to all students. Anyone interested in improving the campus experience or building their resumes is encouraged to join!
For more information on Student Senate, contact advisor Kyle Bianconi at 218-262-7373 or email@example.com.
Call for Senators
Student Senate is currently seeking new Senators for the 2021-2022 Academic Year.
Senate will hold its first official meeting on Wednesday, September 29nd at 1:00pm in the Student Center, room C-106. At this meeting individuals interested in being senate members will be accepted. The senate will additionally be looking for members who are interested in being elected as officers. All currently enrolled students are invited to attend.
Individuals interested in joining the Student Senate should fill out an application and submit it to either the Library or Kyle Bianconi.
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MNSCU) Policies
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MNSCU) Policies about Campus Student Associations define the ways in which Student Government/Student Senate represents students and interacts with College Administration.
MNSCU Policies for Campus Student Associations:
- 2.1 Campus Student Associations - This policy states that "Students at each college and university have the right to establish a student government herein referred to as a campus student association." The policy assigns the following duties to the Student Senate:
- That the Student Senate is the official representative for all students
- That the Senate has the sole authority to recommend the chartering of all clubs to the President of the College
- 2.3 Student Involvement in Decision-Making - promotes appropriate levels of student involvement in system, college, and university decision-making and to assure that student perspectives are considered.
- This policy states that "Students must be given the opportunity for representation on college, university, and system committees involving or affecting student interests and have the opportunity to review or be consulted on issues that have significant impact on students."
- System Procedure 2.3.1 Student Involvement in Decision-Making - This policy requires college administration to consult with and meet with the Student Senate regularly and keep Student Senate informed on matters requiring student representation.
- 3.7 Statewide Student Association - This policy recognizes LeadMN as the one statewide student association for state community and technical college students and student associations.
- As well as representing students, the Student Senate members are actively involved with LeadMN. LeadMN serves to aid the Student Senates as well as lobbying the Legislature and Minnesota State. Read more on their webpage at www.leadmn.org.