Hibbing Community College Service-Learning Mission Statement
Integrating theories of the classroom with community experiences to strengthen citizenship, enhance personal growth, and enrich the community.
Service-Learning is an innovative teaching strategy that combines meaningful community or public service with academic improvement, development of civic responsibility, and personal growth. It provides an opportunity for students to apply academic skills in real-life situations while helping to meet actual community needs through service.
- Enhance learning
- Promote critical thinking
- Provide experience
- Explore majors & careers
- Foster civic responsibility
- Encourage life-long commitment to service
- Enhance employability
- Break down barriers/promote understanding
- Job offers, scholarships, self-esteem...
- Service-learning certificate for students who complete 25 hours or more of service-learning
- Satisfies a portion of the MN Transfer Curriculum