- Open Until
- Employment Type
- - / Hour
Organization: Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, MN GreenCorps Program
Position: Minnesota GreenCorps AmeriCorps Member
Minnesota GreenCorps, an AmeriCorps program coordinated by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, is looking for community-focused individuals to serve with local governments, non-profits, or educational institutions statewide for an 11 month AmeriCorps term, September through August.
Position Summary: Minnesota GreenCorps is a statewide AmeriCorps program coordinated by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, with a mission to preserve and protect Minnesota's environment and strengthen communities. MN GreenCorps members serve full-time for 11 months at environmental nonprofits, government agencies, or educational institutions throughout the state. Members address critical environmental issues while gaining green job skills and networking with environmental professionals.
Members serve on projects in one of the four environmental areas:
- Air Pollutant Reduction (energy conservation, green transportation)
- Community Readiness and Outreach (public engagement, education, volunteer mobilization)
- Green Infrastructure Improvements (stormwater management, urban forestry)
- Waste Reduction, Recycling, and Organics Management (food waste prevention, recycling, composting)
Member activities may include: delivering environmental education, implementing sustainability-related projects, collecting, benchmarking and analyzing data, improving habitat, implementing recycling programs, collaborating with community members, and mobilizing volunteers.
Term Dates and Schedule:
AmeriCorps Service Term: September 18, 2019 – August 18, 2020
Schedule: Full-time, Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm typical. Occasional evenings/weekends may be required for some positions.
Location: 44 positions are available in cities throughout Minnesota. Housing is not provided, members must secure housing near the service location. Applicants may indicate geographic area preferences on the application.
- Northeast MN: Duluth, Virginia
- Northwest MN: Alexandria, Bemidji, Crookston, Fergus Falls, Moorhead, Park Rapids, Pine River
- North Central MN: Big Lake, Cass Lake, Little Falls
- Southeast MN: Faribault, Rochester, Winona
- Twin Cities Metro Area: Andover, Apple Valley, Arden Hills, Bloomington, Brooklyn Park, Burnsville, Chanhassen, Coon Rapids, East Bethel, Edina, Golden Valley, Hastings, Minneapolis, Oakdale, Plymouth, St. Louis Park, St. Paul
Benefits: Members earn a monthly stipend of approximately $1,428 per month, offer of health insurance, student loan forbearance on eligible loans, and an education award of up to $6,095 that may be used for education expenses or to pay off qualified student loans. Members receive training from the MPCA quarterly, develop green job skills, gain professional experience, network with environmental professionals, and are paired with a mentor who provides on-going guidance.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years or older.
- Two year Associates degree or completion of sophomore year in a four-year college program required; preferred qualification of a four-year degree.
- Demonstrated interest in the environment, including energy and water conservation, active transportation, urban planning, local foods, recycling, etc.
- Interest in environmental service and community work.
- Commitment to complete the 11 months (1,700 hours) AmeriCorps service term.
- Ability to work well independently and with individuals from a variety of backgrounds.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and lead and motivate others.
- Ability to take initiative, communicate effectively, manage time, organize and present information, display flexibility in service assignments, and display a positive and professional demeanor.
- Strong desire to learn new skills.
- Most positions require driving, a valid driver’s license, and passing a driving record check administered by the MPCA. Some positions require access to a personal vehicle for transportation.
- Some positions may require the ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions on challenging terrain.
- Must not have a criminal history that precludes the applicant’s ability to work with vulnerable populations, such as the youth and elderly.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or a lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S.
Visit www.pca.state.mn.us/mngreencorps to learn more about the program and apply. Applicants may indicate the focus area and region of the state where they want to serve on the application.
Application Deadline: June 28, 2019
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements & Qualifications
Hibbing Community College reserves the right to edit and/or refuse employment listings for posting on this Website.
It is the policy of Hibbing Community College to comply with federal and state law prohibiting discrimination in student admissions or treatment of students or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual preference, handicap, disability, status with regard to public assistance, or other protected groups. Upon request, this information will be made available in an alternative form.