Transfer of Credit Policies

Transfer of Credit Policies

Transfer of credit and courses will be evaluated based on academic policies and procedures of Hibbing Community College, as outlined in Hibbing Community College's catalog along with, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Transfer Rights Responsibilites according system policies and procedures and to Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The Transfer Action Plan explains to you what you should be aware of when looking to transfer, and will help you better understand the process.

Institution Accreditation

Transfer of credit will be considered for college level coursework completed at accredited institutions:

Regionally Accredited: Degree-granting public, private, nonprofit and for-profit, two- and four-year institutions in the United States conferred by the Higher Learning Commission, (a Commission of North Central Association of Colleges and Schools) and/or parallel accrediting agencies in other regions of the United States.

Non-Regionally Accredited: Specialized institutions, including distance learning providers and freestanding professional schools recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)and the U.S. Department of Education (USDE). Coursework will be considered on a course-by-course basis through a petition process and will be judged to be comparable or equivalent to courses offered at Hibbing Community College.

Transfer Course Evaluation

Courses will be reviewed and considered for transfer as follows:

  • General education coursework completed at Minnesota State Colleges and Universities that fulfills the Minnesota General Education Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) will be accepted at Hibbing Community College based on the completion of the MnTC at the originating college or university.
  • General education coursework completed at the University of Minnesota or other institutions outside the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system will be considered for transfer as:
    • Equivalent to a Hibbing Community College general education course and MnTC Goal Area
    • Not equivalent to a specific Hibbing Community College course, but fulfill a MnTC Goal Area
  • Coursework that is not general education will be considered for transfer as:
    • Equivalent to a specific course in a career program (within five years of course completion, if in a technical program
    • Elective credit that does not apply toward general education or career course requirements (including technical courses over five years old)

Guaranteed Transfer of Credits

Hibbing Community College guarantees transfer of credits for students completing an Associate in Arts Degree to any of the following universities: Bemidji, MN State- Mankato, MN State-Moorhead, St. Cloud State, Southwest MN State, Winona, and the University of Minnesota, Duluth. In addition, HCC is a part of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum agreement which guarantees transfer of the 40 liberal education credits to any public college or university in Minnesota. These credits will fulfill the general education requirements for a baccalaureate degree.

Students who expect to continue a course of study at a four-year colleges or university are urged to plan with their counselors when selecting classes. Students are encouraged to study the catalog of the college to which they intend to transfer and to confer with the counselors and academic advisors in student services.