MN Transfer Curriculum

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (Minnesota State) have developed a common general education curriculum called the Minnesota General Education Transfer Curriculum or MnTC. Completion of all or part of defined 40 credits, distributed among ten goal areas, at one institution enables a student to transfer lower-division general education coursework to any Minnesota public college or university. The Associate of Arts Degree/Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (AA Degree) of 60 credits is the transfer degree which includes the entire MnTC and will satisfy general education requirements for graduation from the University of Minnesota and Minnesota State Colleges and Universities. Other private and out-of-state colleges and universities also accept in transfer the completion of Hibbing's MnTC or AA Degree, including Augsburg College, College of St. Scholastica, Concordia University-St. Paul, and University of Wisconsin-River Falls.

The MnTC is shared among all Minnesota two- and four-year public colleges and universities to support the transfer of coursework and credits in general education. Goals and competencies include:

Completing 40 credits and satisfying 1 to 10 goal areas

The goal areas include:

  • Communication
  • Critical Thinking
  • Natural Sciences
  • Mathematical/Logical Reasoning
  • History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences
  • Humanities and the Fine Arts
  • Human Diversity
  • Global Perspectives
  • Ethic and Civil Responsibility
  • People and the Environment

Student Responsibility
Students are responsible for collecting and providing necessary supporting information to Hibbing Community College, which enables satisfactory consideration of transfer credit and courses. Students may be asked to provide a course outline or syllabus, course description or reading list to determine course comparability.

Residency Requirement
To earn a degree through Hibbing Community College, at least 20 of the last 30 semester credits must be earned at Hibbing Community College. Students transferring in at least 9 semester credits from Minnesota State Colleges and Universities or the University of Minnesota may reduce the residency requirement from 20 to 11 credits.

Transfer GPA and Grades
All college level courses in which a student has received a grade of A, B, C, D or P will be considered for transfer evaluation. No F grade courses will be accepted. Transfer credit grades will not be used in computing a student's GPA at Hibbing Community College except for admission to special programs that require the calculation of GPA for application to the program. Only earned transfer credits (not grade point credits or grade points) will be recorded on the official Hibbing Community College transcript.

Students who complete the Associate in Arts (AA) degree at Hibbing Community College will have met the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum requirements. A 2.00 GPA is required for both the MnTC and AA degree. Transfer courses with grades of A-D will be included in the GPA calculation for the MnTC.

Courses approved for transfer must be comparable in nature, content, and level and match at least 75% of the content and goals of the course syllabus for which the student is seeking equivalent credit.

Transfer of Credit Appeals
Students have the right to appeal transfer evaluations. Complete and submit a Transfer Course Evaluation Appeal form to the Academic Dean's Office.

Time Limit
General education and elective credits have no transfer time limit. The timeliness of credits applied to career programs is considered when evaluating transfer credits. Technical career courses must be taken within the past five years to qualify for transfer and to fulfill technical program requirements.

The number of transfer credits granted per course will not exceed the number granted by the originating institution. The conversion of quarter hours to semester hours is 0.667 for each quarter hour.

Repeated Transfer Courses
When a course transfers as equivalent to a Hibbing Community College course and that course is later repeated at Hibbing Community College, only the credit and grade earned from Hibbing Community College will be granted. If after completing a Hibbing Community College course, a course transfers as equivalent to that same course and if that course was completed during a year/term after the same Hibbing Community College course was completed, only the transfer credit will be granted. Veterans and other students who receive financial assistance from an outside agency should check for agency rules that do not permit payment for courses that are taken more than once.

Technical/Vocational College Credits
Generally a maximum of 16 semester credits (24 quarter credits) will be accepted and considered elective credit that will not count toward general education course requirements. Students may petition to accept additional credits for those courses that are judged to be comparable or equivalent to courses offered at Hibbing Community College.