International Student Checklist

International Student Application Process

An international student is a non-U.S. citizen or non-U.S. immigrant, who has been granted F-1 visa status from the U.S. Department of State (DOS) through a U.S. Consulate based upon the I-20 document (certificate of eligibility for an F-1 visa) issued by Hibbing Community College to pursue full-time study at the College.

New International Student from outside the U.S.
Fall Semester: June 1st
Spring Semester: October 1st

Transfer International Student from within the U.S.
Fall Semester: July 1st
Spring Semester: November 1st

Steps to Becoming an International Student at HCC

The following items are required for you to be considered for admission at Hibbing Community College. Applications are reviewed for acceptance only after all the steps are completed

  1. Submit Application
    Complete the International Student Application for Admission. The application process requires a $20 (U.S. dollars) non-refundable application fee.
  2. Submit Transcripts:
    Send us original transcripts or officially certified copies of original transcripts from all institutions previously attended, including all secondary, high schools, colleges, universities, or technical polytechnic schools you have attended or are currently attending. If the language of the records is not English, a certified translation must be included with the official transcript.
  3. Financial Requirement
    Submit the Certification of Financial Responsibility. You must come fully prepared to meet all financial obligations for the entire course of study as a student including tuition, fees, books, medical insurance and all other personal expenses in the United States. The CFR must be completed with supporting documentation attached. It is estimated that you will need $19,500 (U.S. dollars) per year for tuition and living expenses. Hibbing Community College does not provide financial aid for International students.

International Student Cost Sheet

4. Proof of English Proficiency.

All international applicants must submit proof of English proficiency through one of the following ways. Proof of English proficiency is required of all applicants and is required before acceptance to HCC.

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL);; HCC Code is 6275
    International English Language Testing System (IELTS); (academic test only)

Paper-Based TOEFL
Internet-Based TOEFL

Minimum Score

  • A grade of “C” or better in a college level English Composition Course from an accredited U.S. College.
  • Citizens of certain countries are exempt from demonstrating English proficiency. Please inquire with the International Academic Advisor.

To send your official score report from ETS: . The TOEFL may be secured from the American Consulate in your country or it may be taken by applying directly to:

Educational Testing Service
Rosedale Road
Princeton, NJ 08541 USA

5. Health Insurance Requirements.
All international students are required to purchase the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities international student accident and illness insurance plan (approximate cost of $1,927 per year) except those students whose sponsoring agency or government certifies that the student is covered under a plan provided by the sponsoring agency or government. Go to to “Find My School’s Plan”, search for Hibbing Community College and select the “International Student Enrollment Form” to sign up for insurance.

6. Immunization Requirements
Before you are admitted,
you must submit the required Immunization form. All students born after 1956 are required by Minnesota Law to provide proof that they have been vaccinated against diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, and rubella.


Students wishing to transfer credit from a university outside of the U.S. must have their transcripts evaluated by an approved academic credentialing agency.The companies listed below provide acceptable evaluation for a fee. (Order a “Course by Course” evaluation.)

Educational Credential Evaluators
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203
Phone: 414-289-3400
Fax: 414-289-3411

World Educational Services
P.O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY10113
Phone: 1-800-937-3895
Fax: 212-739-6100

Submit all application materials and correspondence to:
Hibbing Community College
International Student Admissions
1515 E. 25th Street
Hibbing, MN55746

Admissions Confirmation

Hibbing Community College will review all documents upon their receipt. If you are accepted, you will be sent a letter of confirmation with the I-20. If you are not accepted, you will be sent a letter with explanation.

To travel, you will need the following:

I-20. This is issued to you by Minnesota West after all application materials are submitted and you have been accepted to our school.

I-901. This form is completed with your payment of $200 to SEVIS, the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. Read how to submit the I-901 and payment.

Passport. There may be a waiting period to receive your passport due to heightened international security issues. You must have your passport with you when you apply for your visa.

Visa. You must apply for a visa at an American embassy or consulate. You will be granted a passport up to 120 days before the start date noted on your I-20 form. You may travel to the United States up to 30 days before that start date. Read the requirements for obtaining a visa.

I-94. This form is completed on your flight over.

Applicants already in the U.S. must submit the following additional Items (If applicable)

  1. Photocopy of both sides of Form 1-94 (usually stapled to your passport)
  2. Photocopy of the most recent U.S. Visa Stamp in your passport.
  3. Photocopy of both sides of Form I-20 ID (student copy) issued by your present school

These websites may be helpful

Students and Exchange Visitors
Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Contact: Kate Brau
International Student Advisor