Overview of Merger
The five colleges of the Northeast Higher Education District (NHED), which includes Hibbing Community College are currently engaged in the process of merging into a single accredited college. More information about the merger, and the rationale for this reorganization, can be found on the NHED website.
Documents and Resources
- Higher Learning Commission - Letter of Intent to Merge NHED College Accreditations
- Minnesota North College* Mission, Vision, and Core Values
- Merger Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
* Pending Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and Minnesota State Board of Trustees approval
Updates for Students
The five Northeast Higher Education District (NHED) colleges including Hibbing, Itasca, Mesabi Range (Virginia & Eveleth), Rainy River, and Vermilion have merged into one college, Minnesota North College as of Monday, May 23, 2022.
Important updates for you to know as a Minnesota North student:
- You will continue to apply, register, and take classes at the same institution;
- You will still be supported by the student services staff on campus;
- You will still be able to participate in campus clubs, and the athletic teams will still continue to compete at each campus.
Thank you for choosing to HEAD NORTH!
Minnesota North College Mission, Vision, and Core Values
Minnesota North College* prepares lifelong learners and engaged citizens through inclusive, transformative experiences reflecting the character and natural environment of the region.
Minnesota North College* will be the premier provider of life-changing education and the catalyst for regional prosperity.
Minnesota North College* values...
Access and Opportunity
We provide access to transformative education, equipping all learners to achieve their goals.
We collaborate and build relationships with our communities to support and enrich our region.
Equity and Inclusion
We advance equity and social justice, striving to build more diverse, equitable, and inclusive communities.
Environment and Culture
We explore the history, culture, and natural surroundings of our region, recognizing their contributions to our unique learning environment.
Growth and Learning
We create a safe learning community that cultivates personal growth, critical thinking, and self-reflection.
- Increase the geographic and cultural diversity of our student body
- Improve success outcomes for all students
- Eliminate education equity gaps
- Deepen meaningful relationships with regional stakeholders and partners
- Expand programs throughout the region to meet student and community needs
*Pending Higher Learning Commission and Minnesota State Board of Trustees approval
Board of Trustees Approves Intention to Merge Accreditations of the NHED Colleges
VisionNE: Roadmap to Minnesota North College