Assessment Testing

Hibbing Community College
New Student Assessment - (Placement Testing)

What is the placement test?
The Accuplacer placement test is an assessment in Reading Comprehension and Mathematics that Hibbing Community College uses to determine how your skill levels meet course prerequisites to ensure your success in college.

Accuplacer Introduction and Sample Questions

Click on: “FREE Sample Questions” OR “Accuplacer Study App”

Who must take the test?
All new students are required to complete new student assessment testing if they are registering for seven or more credits collectively.

Could I be exempt from the test?
You may be exempt from taking all or a part of the assessment if you:

  1. Completed the Accuplacer assessment testing at another college (within the past three years for Reading the and past two years for Math). The documentation of your scores needs to be provided to HCC by mail or fax 218-263-2992, or
  2. Successfully completed collegiate English and/or Math courses (grade of C or better) that meets the requirements for your HCC program; an official copy of your transcript needs to be provided to HCC, or
  3. Completed the ACT within the past three years and have a score of 18 in English and a score of 21 in Reading. A math score of 22 allows a student to be placed into College Algebra. However, if your math ability is higher than College Algebra, a course placement will be determined by taking the Accuplacer placement test for math. You must present an official ACT report to the college if one is not on file.

How long is the test?
The test is self paced and not timed. Please do not to rush through the test(s). Students generally complete the tests in 1-2 hours.

Can I use a calculator?
The test will provide an online calculator when needed. Hand held calculators are not permitted.

What should I bring to the test?
All testing materials will be provided by HCC.

How do I sign up for the Accuplacer test?
The Admissions Department will schedule you for the Accuplacer test(s). If you are not able to attend the session chosen for you, please contact the Admission’s Department to reschedule by calling 218-262-7207.

What if I need to take the Accuplacer test for another MnSCU college?
If you are attending another college and would like to test at Hibbing, this can be done by contacting the Assessment Coordinator at You will need to contact the college where you plan to attend to find out which tests are required for admission to their institution. (For example, some colleges require assessment in Sentence Skills in addition to Reading Comprehension and Mathematics).

Can I fail the test?
No. These tests assess your current skill level. The purpose of the assessment is to determine your placement in college level course work, which enables you and your advisor or counselor to make informed decisions about which courses to take at the beginning of your college career.

The assessment does not affect your admission to HCC (unless you are a PSEO applicant).

Why do I need to test?
All new entering students take the placement test to determine which courses should be taken in order to complete your program.

Can I take the test(s) at a college closer to where I live if I don’t live in the area or state?
If you in Minnesota but taking the test on HCC’s campus is not feasible, you may contact another community and/or technical college in Minnesota to have them proctor the tests. If you are an out-of-state student, email for information on getting the tests proctored.

When willI get my test results?
Test results are used as an advising tool for you and your HCC advisor or counselor. Therefore, you will receive your results during a registration session and/or when you meet with an advisor or counselor.

How do I interpret my course placement?
Reading: A student who scores 78 or higher on the Reading Comprehension test shall be placed in courses that designate college level reading skills as a prerequisite. A student who scores below 78 shall be placed in a developmental reading course.
Math: Students will be assigned a math test based on major and ability. For placement into College Algebra, students can either take the Intermediate Algebra test and score +60 or higher or take the Elementary Algebra test with a score of +76 and also +50 in the College Level Math test. A score interpretation sheet is provided to students to show placements in other college level math courses.

How long are the results valid?
Results are valid for three years in Reading and two years in Math.

How much does it cost?
There is no cost to take the assessment test the first time.

Can I retest?
HCC allows one retest per semester (students shall not be allowed to test more than 2 times within a 12 month period). The option of retesting should be discussed with your academic advisor if you feel your test results are not reflective of your ability. It is recommended that students review sample questions or seek tutoring services before attempting a retest. There is a $5 fee for retesting; the fee should be paid in the Business Office with the receipt being turned in at the time of scheduling a retest. Retesting is done by appointment. All retests should be completed prior to the beginning of a semester. All retests are to be scheduled before the semester begins.

Disability Accommodations
Students with a documented disability should contact the HCC Disability Services Office at 218-262-6712 to seek testing accommodations.